HOW TO SPOT A FAKE PERFUME:
1. PRICE CHECK: ‘The taste they say is in the pudding’, check the price; if it’s dearth cheap for the “brand” then it’s likely to be too good to be true and it isn’t the real perfume. There may be exceptions, such as a stock clearance where a store is closing down, but on the whole, the price provides a good indication of authenticity.
2. BEWARE OF OLD STOCK and STALE PERFUME
Perfume does deteriorate. The time period depends on temperature, light and length of storage. Sometimes when stores close down, they SELL OUT their old perfume stock. These typically end up in auctions, and discount shops/web sites at very cheap prices. Don’t get caught out. Always make sure your supplier sells FRESH, not old stock.
3. Fragrance Lasting time: Test number of hours. A good perfume fragrance Should last at least 2 to 3 hours+
4. Fragrance Oiliness; Check for absence of the oily feel.
5. Fragrance (Smell). Check for pungent or unusual fragrance notes.
6. Barcodes: Examine barcodes. Barcodes should be at the bottom of the perfume box. If you see that they are the side of the box, you should be suspicious.
7. Real packaging is made from high quality paperboard. It has no excess glue and/or tape.
The L’Orange perfume
8. Shake the bottle. A real perfume will accumulate bubbles but these will be completely gone in under 10-20 seconds. Bubble formations on fake perfumes will clear instantaneously.
9. Examine the text on the back of the packaging. Check for grammatical errors, poorly laid out information, etc. Luxury Brands spend alot on branding and advertising their products. Real packaging for an authentic perfume must be a hundred percent grammatically correct.
10. check Main Bottle Label for quality of printing – size – positioning and look for embossing if applicable. correct information and spelling, also check for consistency of colour and thickness of the bottle and its content.
11. Feel the bottle. Real perfumes have smooth bottle containers while imitation bottles are often a bit rough, the bottle colour may differ slightly and are usually poorly made (they may even be plastic) though this may differ compared to other brands of perfumes or Cologne. Quality perfume bottles have tight fitting caps that are spill-proof. Be aware that the bottle is part of the perfume experience with designer perfume labels and as such, the bottle must be perfect.
Aēsop by Ivana Trump
The Bond No.9 perfume
Estate Flor for men and women
Let your fragrance do the talking….
This post was initially shared on
Additional credits and Editing: Jimmy Adesanya (Facebook,Behance, Branded.me/LinkedIn).