ADVERTISING · BRAND HISTORY · BRAND JOURNALISM · BRANDMEET UP · BRANDS · PHOTOGRAPHY · SOCIAL MEDIA · TECHNOLOGY · TELEVISION · THROWBACK THURSDAYS (TBT) · TUNE IN: (COMING SOON)

[THROWBACK THURSDAY] #TBT: TODAY MARCH 17TH IN BRANDS AND ADVERTISING HISTORY.

1929: Renowned commercial and fashion photographer Bert Stern was born on this day in New York,

image

Bert’s father a children’s portrait photographer himself. At 16 he dropped out of school and worked in the post room at Look magazine, where he became friends with then photographer and future filmmaker Stanley Kubrick . While there, art director Hershel Bramson served as his mentor. In 1953, Bert Stern had his first major gig in advertising for Smirnoff vodka. Outside advertising and fashion, Stern served under the US Army’s photography department at the base in Japan when he was drafted in 1951.

By his mid-20s Stern was already an established photographer, famous within the advertising world. Stern also worked for reputable publications such as LIFE and Vogue, taking photographs of famous personalities. The long list includes Elizabeth Taylor , Gary Cooper, Verushcka, David Bailey, Audrey Hepburn , and Twiggy .
However, his most popular work has to be his intimate portraits of Marilyn Monroe taken on June 24, 25, and 26, 1962 at Los Angeles’ Hotel Bel-Air for US Vogue. This would turn out to be the actress’ last photo shoot – Marilyn Monroe died just six weeks later.

image

image

In 1982, Stern published these photos in a book. In 2008, he recreated the photo shoot for New York magazine, this time starring actress Lindsay Lohan.

In addition to being a photographer, Stern also co-directed and produced a documentary in 1959. It was the acclaimed “Jazz on a Summer’s Day, which was about the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival.

Stern passed away on June 26, 2013 at the age of 83 leaving behind invaluable contributions to advertising and fashion photography.

1941 – The National Gallery of Art was officially opened by U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt in Washington, DC .

1967 – Snoopy and Charlie Brown of “Peanuts” were on the cover of “LIFE” magazine.

image
AYO Animashaun
1970: Ayo Animashaun CEO of Smooth Promotions, organisers of the innovative Headies award, owners of HipTV and publishers of Hip Hop World Magazine was born. On November 5, 2013, he launched HipTV on DSTV Channel 324 and the cable channel has since grown to become one of the leading TV stations on cable TV providing content for several Nigerians.

1997 – The RIAA announced that the Eagles’ “Greatest Hits” album had tied Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” as the all-time best-selling album in the U.S.

1999 – A panel of medical experts concluded that marijuana had medical benefits for people suffering from cancer and AIDS.

1999 – The International Olympic Committee expelled six of its members in the wake of a bribery scandals.

image

2009 – The iTunes Music Store reached 800 million applications downloaded.

2016: MIAMI-DADE COUNTY YOUTH FAIR OPENS.

2016: The minister of communication confirmed Nigeria had ceded 70% of its IT market to foreign brands.

“Nigeria is ceding about 70 per cent of the country’s technology market to the foreign brands due to apathy for locally made products,” the Minister of Communications Barr Adebayo Shittu said during a Stakeholders’ Compliance Workshop on the Procurement of Indigenous ICT products and service by ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs) in Abuja Nigeria. According to the minister the value of Nigerian ICT hardware and services industry was estimated at $39.7billion in 2014, and forecasted to grow to144 billion dollars by 2020, but regrets that all the available statistics show that the likes of Samsung, Acer, HP, Dell, Asus, Toshiba and Lenovo account for 70 per cent of sales in the market, leaving indigenous brands like Zinox, Omatek Computers, Brian integrated systems to account for the remaining 30 per cent. He  however assured that all the local Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) of products and services will get patronage, especially from the government he further promised Nigerian that Nigeria will not be a dumping ground for all forms of technologies. ‘Local content development policy will be implemented to protect indigenous players in the industry and the ministry will galvanise right policies that will see to the need of Small and Medium Scale Enterprises,’’ he stated.

Compiled by: @djshyluckjimmy

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s